We are a company by gamers, for gamers. We believe that truly good and deeply compelling games are timeless and ultimately prevail over fine-tuned shallow addiction cycles. Our mission is to make deeply engaging and technically outstanding games, while embracing all the opportunities of new platforms, new business models and a games industry in flux.
We are looking for ambitious and highly skilled people who share our passion for making outstanding games. You will need to be ready to take on the challenge of being part of a small but experienced and ambitious team, not be afraid to get your hands dirty, have a can-do attitude and a willingness to go the extra mile. For those up to the challenge, it's going to be a thrilling ride.
THE ROLE - Data Scientist
At SEMC we challenge conventional practices and follow a variety of approaches in producing creative solutions to build touch screen games played by millions. We are the only studio that believes the mobile platform deserves the same quality as PC and Console games and we intend to build it ourselves! Whether it’s working on large scale deployment, virtual cloud environments, computer graphics, gameplay programming, front-end features, tools development, in-game UI, web-enabled technologies, artificial intelligence, distributed computing, or databases; there is always a thought-provoking challenge for our engineers covering the full spectrum of computer science. We take pride in our development process and encourage ownership of projects - if you build it, you own it. At SEMC we want to build a team that fosters creativity and autonomy and contributes to the product, making a difference to our millions of gamers around the world.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Advanced degrees in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Economics, Astrophysics or other quantitative field; Masters or PhD strongly preferred
- At least 10 + years of experience working with some or all of the following: probability, statistics, data mining, predictive modeling, experimental design, computational analytics, econometric modeling
- Experience designing, architecting and/or building environments and libraries to facilitate the production of data science and analytics
- Fluency in SQL
- Fluency in some or all of the following: R, Python, Spark (Or equivalent)
- An ability to work independently to get an idea from inception to implementation, including knowledge of techniques for validation and A/B testing
- Experience building deep relationships and the ability to integrate with their stakeholders
- Comfort working effectively in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Comfort collaborating effectively across departments: engineers, product managers, analysts, business, and marketing functions
- A strong business acumen with a customer-first focus in their approach to data science
- A scrappy, action-driven ability to work autonomously
- Highly developed skills in data visualization
- Comfort with Hadoop
- You are able to work on-site at the Super Evil Lair in San Mateo, Calif.
WHAT YOU DO
- Work with large amounts of data
- Identify opportunities that would help improve the experience our players have with our games
- Apply predictive modeling techniques for a variety of user modeling tasks
- Work closely with game teams to design, test, verify and implement statistical models
- Design and evaluate novel approaches to experiments for gameplay
- Recognize that sometimes (If not most times) the simple solution is the best solution
- You have a deep interest in the Moba genre and are a gamer at heart.
A cover letter and resume are required for consideration.